Sunday 3 February 2013

Research Project

I was set the task to individually research into the history and publishing of a set magazine - mine being GQ. This research had to be collated together in presentation that I would deliver to a small group. I would then have to take notes on two other peoples presentations, as long as they had a different publisher to mine.

My presentation:


Speech Notes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pj14qwm9plx4wey/GQ%20Notes.rtf


Jess Mockler - Playstation Magazine

future plc - video games tech cycling films photography 
Niche market 
playstation brand helped sales 
launched in 1999 
Audience - ages varies 15-18 
male 
middle upper class price 
Heading at the top 
titles on left - read left to right 
dark colour scheme - yellow makes it stand out 
follows house style 
Facebook page and app - market research - listening to their reader 
expanded globally 
Magazine is a part of its own brand - people that play playstation will buy this 

Connor Barbor: Top Gear Magazine
Top Gear Mag 
Bbc worldwide publisher 
Automobile magazine 
1993 - £3.95 
History: 
1922 
6 companies coming together
First national operation operation 
Multi media - TV podcast 
Bbc worldwide is an a arm of bbc
Bbc focus on mostly 18+ 
They do try and aim for younger audiences 
100,000 hours of programming 
Most TV shows are magazines 
THE MAG
They have a website 
Promotes their magazine 
Dark and masculine website 
APP 
free app 
Cheaper 
PODCAST 
it's free
Promotion tool 
Speak of magazine in podcast 
EXPANDED 
show stared 2002 
After it started 
26 countries 
December 2007 200,000 copies sold 
Introduced a comedy section 
Analysis 
Symmetrical 
Masculine font 
Bold font 
No negative space 
The use of color helps 
Contents page - structured page 
Posh typography - gentleman 
Mclaren is significant - main attraction 

At the end if the presentations we were given scored out of 4 on our Presentation Slides, Presentation Skills, Research Detail, Use of key terms. 
1 = Excellent 
2 = Great 
3 = Okay 
4 = Bad
The aim being to have the lowest score. 

My scores: 
Myself: 1 1 1 3
James Michie: 1 1 2 3
Connor Barbor: 1 1 1 3
Jess Mockler: 1 1 1 2
Charlotte Fischer: 1 1 1 1 
Immy Welsford: 1 1 1 1 

Presentation Slides: 6 
Presentation Skills: 6 
Research Detail: 7 
Use of key terms: 13

From my feedback I have learnt that my slides were very effective due to the fact that they had minimal text on them and they incorporated different forms of media on them (video reviews). This enhanced my presenting skills as it meant that I was not reading off of the board or my laptop. The area that I need to improve on is my key terms. I did not include enough in my presentation - by including more it shows that I truly understand what I am talking about and that I am not repeating what other have written. 

No comments:

Post a Comment