Sunday 4 November 2012

Evaluation - My Progress so far as an A-level Media Student

When I started the Media A-Level course, unlike some students, I had not studied the subject before at GCSE level.
Yet, since starting, I feel that I have learnt a great deal about how to analyse the technical elements of media texts. I can now confidently summarise a text into •Camera •Editing •Mise-en-Scene •Sound and talk about how each of these elements can help portray a certain theme within the text, for example I can talk about how Mise-en-Scene can portray the difference in class or the sounds used can portray masculinity.
Since starting media, I have learnt a vast amount of new technical vocabulary, which i can apply in my work. I now know the exact terms to use when describing different elements in my essay writing. Within each of the different categories i think i have made the most progress in the sound category. Mainly due to the fact that we have spent a number of lessons looking into the category in detail and breaking it apart - learning the key words like 'parallel sound' and 'contrapuntal sound' - and then learning how these factors contribute and effect the situation at hand; for example, how does sound present the sexuality of characters?
The category that i know is my weakest is editing. In our class we have not yet looked into it in much detail and most of what i have learnt about it has come from the yale film studies guide, in which i looked at the editing section and added keywords to my glossary. I think that once i have learnt this in more depth it will not only increase my understanding of the course on a whole, but it will also give me a massive boost when writing my essays, as i will be able to confidently describe how editing plays its part - something that i have been marked down on for not including in my essays.
I also think that I will need to look over and revise all of the semiotics work and the iconography work. Once i am able to grasp the ideas involved i think that my understanding of media as a subject will become a lot easier than it may be now.
I also now have a greater understanding of title sequences. I did have some knowledge of them before as i had done previous work on them. However, i now know about what specifically makes a good thriller title sequence - so since joining media, i have a more niche understanding of the title sequence.

My targets for areas of improvement are:

- Look more into how editing can represent different themes in a media text.

- Revise Semiotics

- Continue to add key words into my glossary and refer back to it when writing essays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment